Monday, August 25, 2014

LIBR 200 Introduction

Hello!

I'm Joyce Jacobo, and it is pleasure to participate in LIBR 200 at San Jose State University. Last fall, getting adjusted to the D2L website and first creating this blog for LIBR 203 was quite an experience. And then I wound up taking some time off due to financial and situational issues, only to discover D2L was no longer in use when returning to the program.

Whew! But it goes to show how swiftly technology can move, and how important it is for us as up-and-coming information professionals to keep on top of all these advancements.

Coming from the remote countryside, where it takes a lot of effort to connect with people in even the local comunity (there is a lot of space between homes here), among the many things I'd like to accomplish is to be able to interact with a variety of individuals throughout the world. It would also be nice to see how library science can help me to move beyond my present boundaries and into the world, virtually and physical.

Storytelling means a great deal to me. I am a creative writer, interested in rare books, preservation techniques, and how technology can help future generations to foster a love for literature and learning. In this way, I'm thinking of becoming a special collections, children's, or academic librarian. Either that, or an archivist--because I have had experience volunteering in the archives at the Escondido Public Library's Pioneer Room and seen what a great genealogical resource they were to the community.

With that said, there are several possible information communities I might explore, from the services provided by the Temecula Museum to that strange yet creative community known as the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Fandom. The latter might sound funny, but they have built an interesting community of artists and talented storytellers. And what they have is a friendly and encouraging environment that ranges from on-line activities to off-line events (even fundraisers towards good causes like the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Forestry Department). So that is pretty cool.

This just a brief introduction, though.

Nice to meet everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the program! Wow, it looks like you are considering several career options. And since I've actually worked in all those settings -- even children's (if you count helping out my partner with the resources she creates and the events she orchestrates in her role as a school librarian), I recommend them all highly.
    Either of the two choices you mention would make a good choice. BTW, do you consider yourself a Bronie? Here's an article you may find interesting A Professional Assessment of Twilight Sparkle as a Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Libraries have always interested me, and a volunteer/internship position during undergraduate college at the Kellogg Library (Cal State San Marcos) really helped to set me on that course.

      We're defintely going to have a lot to talk about throughout the course! Sometimes, it is pretty difficult, living where I do. So it will be great to learn about things like possible internships or different ways to get experience in all those areas. Are there any articles you would sugest for someone just starting to learn about each career position?

      To be honest, since writing is also my passion, I was a little worried at first that library science wouldn't give me a chance to write creatively or become a stronger storyteller. But it looks like there are going to be many opportunities to do just that. :D

      Ha. I definitely consider myself a fan. In fact, some of the articles we were reading for the course--especially the one that defined information communities--particularly reminded me of the MLP fanbase. The show is well-done, has wonderful characters, exceeds in breaking gender stereotypes, has animation easy enough for tech-savvy fans to imitate for their own creations, and has inspired this great burst of ingenuity on the part of many people.

      So yeah, the show certainly has my respect.

      Thank you for sending the article link! Did you know that a few weeks back, that information community actually did a fundraiser for libraries (inspired by something that happened in the show)?

      So I might do the MLP fan base for the research paper. Either that, or the National Novel Writing Month community. They do a lot of good work too.

      Delete
  2. Hi, nice to meet you! I recognized several of the places you mentioned, are you Southern California based? If so you should check out Pamela Bunch at the A.K. Smiley Public Library, she is always putting on fun and magical programs, story times, and family days for the children's room there. I love a great children's room and programming because I think that's the very beginning of my lifelong love of reading and comfort in library settings. Well I hope to see you around classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I happen to live in a small valley in Southern California. The two largest public libraries nearby are in Temecula: The Grace Mellman Library, and the Temecula Library. The latter even has a special children's corner for story times and various activities.

      It sounds like Pamela has a lot of fun at the Smiley Public Library! In which town is she located?

      In any case, I feel the same way. So are you interested in perhaps becoming a children's librarian, then? :D Libraries are definitely among the best places to spark that love of reading and books.

      Delete